The origin of C.M.C.Vimala Province goes back to the foundation of the Congregation in 1866 Feb.13th at Koonammavu as the Third Order of Carmelites Discalced, under the Archbishop of Varapoly, Most. Rev.Bernardine O.C.D... The founder fathers were Blessed Kuriakose Elias Chavara and the Italian missionary Rev.Fr.Leopold Boccaro O.C.D... The first members were Eliswa- a widow, her daughter Anna, Eliswas sister Treasa and another widow Clara.
In 1887, the Syro-Malabar Christians were separated from the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Varapoly. It was declared through a Decree from the Holy see on 7th Medam 1890 that this Convent was brought under the Trichur Vicariate. Soon the Latin members were separated from the Congregation. In 1896 as a result of another re-organization, the Vicariates of Trichur, Eranakulam and Changanassery were erected and the Congregation was under the Eranakulam Bishop Mar Louis Pazheparambil. The first branch convent at Mutholy(1888) was under the Bishop of Changanassery. Thus the Syrian section got divided into independent units, each of which was directed and patronized by the local Bishop of the respective diocese.