The origin of C.M.C.Vimala Province goes back to the foundation of the Congregation in 1866 Feb.13th at Koonammavu as the Third Order of Carmelites Discalced, under the Archbishop of Varapoly, Most. Rev.Bernardine O.C.D... The founder fathers were Blessed Kuriakose Elias Chavara and the Italian missionary Rev.Fr.Leopold Boccaro O.C.D... The first members were Eliswa- a widow, her daughter Anna, Eliswas sister Treasa and another widow Clara.
In 1887, the Syro-Malabar Christians were separated from the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Varapoly. It was declared through a Decree from the Holy see on 7th Medam 1890 that this Convent was brought under the Trichur Vicariate. Soon the Latin members were separated from the Congregation. In 1896 as a result of another re-organization, the Vicariates of Trichur, Eranakulam and Changanassery were erected and the Congregation was under the Eranakulam Bishop Mar Louis Pazheparambil. The first branch convent at Mutholy(1888) was under the Bishop of Changanassery. Thus the Syrian section got divided into independent units, each of which was directed and patronized by the local Bishop of the respective diocese.
In 1961 soon after the bifurcation of Ernakulam Archdiocese into Ernakulam and Kothamangalam the sisters of Ernakulam were divided in to two provinces as Vimala Province, Ernakulam and Pavanathma Province, Kothamangalam. The Congregation was raised to the Pontifical right by the Sacred Congregation for Orienteal Churches in March 1967 under the new title Congregation of The Mother of Carmel (C.M.C). Vimala Province becomes a unit of the reconstituted C.M.C.
C.M.C started her first missionary endeavor in July 1958 when Rev. Mother Agnes, the Superior General of the Sisters of Ernakulam ventured to send sisters into the Northern mission stations. Within three decades this mission grew into an independent Province Pushparam(16th July, 1986). On 16th July, 1987 Vimala Province was bifurcated into Vimala Province Ernakulam, and Mary Matha Province Angamaly.
The divine work started by our founder fathers is carried on by the sisters in the fields of faith formation, education, social welfare, medical care, moral and cultural uplift of the women and children according to the needs of the local Church and the People of God.
At present Vimala province Ernakulam has 31 houses in Kerala, 6-Mission stations, 3 in Maharashtra (Kalyan) two in Delhi and Hariyana .